Wednesday, December 30, we woke up really early in the morning with Brian being in EXTREME pain and running a fever. We knew then that he needed to go home. I have only been that afraid one other time in my life and that was when Brian had his accident in 2004(which is the reason for this issue we are having now). Because it was morning time in China it was evening here in the states. We got on skype with my brother in law, Matt, and my sister Sara. They immediately began to get to work finding flights for Brian to get home. They called our agency contact, Kristen, at her home that evening and between the three of them and our guides in China, Brian was getting in a taxi just 1 1/2 hours later. Unbelievable!!! I'm still not sure I can ever thank Matt, Sara, and Kristen enough for the amazing things you did for us that day. And it wasn't just them either. So many people were working behind the scenes to pull this together! As we were skyping with Sara and Matt that morning is when they offered to send Sara to China to help me. At that point I was so overwhelmed with grief and fear I didn't know what to say. But finally Matt said..."Amy. The only way she isn't coming is if you say no." I couldn't say no. Even though its not "who I am" to ask for help (which will be another post in and of itself! Oh the lessons the Lord needs me to learn!) I said ok. And thats when Kristen and Sara started the mad dash for her emergency visa to come to China. ANYWAY.....we frantically started packing a suitcase for Brian to take home with him, got all his medicines ready for him to have on the plane and headed to the lobby. It was so chaotic and we didn't really get a chance to say goodbye because our guide, Susan, was standing there trying to help Brian into the car. As he got in the taxi and it drove off I stood there praying, crying, and looking at this new son of mine who I didn't really know...and I was in shock. I went back up to the room to feed Rhett and figure out what I was going to do. Susan had already told me that she would be back to get me, Rhett, and the Hyatts for some sight seeing at 2pm. Bless her heart, she decided that since Brian was gone she would now escort me everywhere. EVERY. WHERE. She didn't know what else to do so I'm so thankful to her for her care. That afternoon we headed out to Rhett's finding place, the city wall around Nanjing, and a farmer's market. Honestly...its all a blur. I'm so glad I took pictures! I knew I needed to get my mind off of Brian for a while so I remember just asking lots of questions about where we were and taking pictures. Rhett preferred Susan at this point and I had little energy to fight him so while she toted him around I tried to enjoy the view.
So fast forward a little...Brian landed at DFW around midnight on Dec 30 and was immediately checked into the hospital and booked for surgery. It wasn't good and I knew it. I was so thankful he had made it safely but in my gut I knew....we've been down this road before. It was a distant memory but the fears and panic that crept up on us both were definitely not distant at that moment. I will say this...my family (both sides!) were amazing to me during this time. They did everything they knew to do to help me from across the world. They were skyping, emailing, texting (which I didn't get until I returned) with any information to give me about Brian. They were praying, encouraging, speaking truth over me!! Thank you so much...I love you more than you can know!
I feel emotionally drained just writing this so I'll do another post tomorrow if thats ok.(I hope! My side of the family is coming in town to celebrate Christmas and birthdays!! And my new niece and nephew arrive from Ethiopia tomorrow too!)

What I fed Rhett after Brian left. Isn't that a pitiful excuse for a lunch? Kiwi and some Chinese cracker. Hey! Its all I could muster up!

The gate to the hospital where Rhett was found...

The entrance to the hospital...

At the city wall there was a bonsai farm! It was so cute! Did you know you can make any tree into a bonsai tree? Just keep it in a small pot...see, I was listening!!

Bonsai!

A little shack in the bonsai garden. Very quaint!

Mr. Rhett at the bonsai garden. I just wanted to type the word bonsai one more time. Bonsai.

A statue of a warrior guarding the city wall

A view from half way up...

I must have liked these little red lantern things. There were like 20 pictures of these on my camera!

Rhett with his BFF at the time, Susan. AKA: our guide

The farmer's market right outside of the city wall. This place was crazy weird! Not your typical farmer's market. Check out the photos below of some of the foods you could get there.

Chicken anyone?

Or how about a pig snout?

Or a tongue?

Or how about the whole pig's head? Why noooootttttt???? Live a little, gaw!
So as we pulled up to the city wall Rhett fell asleep. Susan said..."Why don't you leave some snacks with the driver and leave him in the car while we walk around? If he wakes up the driver will give him snacks."
Nathan Hyatt said..."Yes. Why don't you do THAT, Amy. Leave your kid with a guy who may or may not come back!!" It was so ridiculously funny at the time! She didn't mean anything ugly by it because thats just the culture there. But oh my word!!! Can you imagine????
Amy,
ReplyDeleteI can't even imagine what it must have been like to watch that taxi drive away. What a blessing that you had such supportive family to help Brian at home and come to meet you in China.
Rhett is such a darling and I can't wait to see more...
Wow Amy! I cried as I read this post. What an ordeal! But praise God how He brought you all through!! Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story-- Love you!
ReplyDeletewow. I can't imagine that day. Thanks for sharing...can't wait for the next report.
ReplyDeleteHi Amy, I haven't checked in on you in ages and I am so sorry to just now be reading about this tough patch you've been through. I wish I had known and had been praying for you. I can't imagine how tough that must have been.
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Jocelyn