As I sit here in Shanghai airport catching the next flight home for physical reasons - she is full of questions, and frustrations because this trip has gone nothing like planned on "our" part. I just reread the words from my post last year about this amazing woman as we were picking up Adiah last year - it amazing how much truer those words are today than even then. Much like our favorite country artist Brad Paisley sings - "And I Thought I Loved You Then"--- I am overwhelmed with how much this beautiful woman has added to my life and added to all of my kids lives. I LOVE YOU MORE AMY WOODS! And Rhett loves and needs you to be the firece woman of God that you are - the King's daughter - beautiful, completely able in all things, and walking in Freedom.
To everyone else out there... If you have ever been encouraged, inspired, picked up, or helped by my bride will you please send truth and maybe a comment about how wonderful she is, how faithful our God is, and how even in this we will stand strong bringing worship and our prayers with joy - because he has made a way when there is no way to have love and joy in Him. Even now.
[From April 2008]
Tomorrow, the center of all attention in this "blog-world" my wife lives in shifts to the little girl anticipated for so long... but tonight as we wait for the final step on this long journey I would love for you all to know how adored and treasured my wife is to me...
Proverbs 31:10-11 "Who can find a virtuous and noble wife?" She is more precious than rubies. Her husband can trust her and she will greatly enrich his life.
Many of you know that this journey has been a long and winding road for us over the past 13+ years. There have been many turns and trials, many joys and many victories. Many of those shared with each of you. Today as I was reading and reflecting on the calling and authority that I have been blessed with over my family (rapidly growing family)- I was overwhelmed with the understanding that while God has called me and blessed me in the ways that He has - He called me to these things knowing that He had already provided the most perfect mate for me to walk beside and behind. Without her I am truly nothing in this life and with her I have everything. I am honored to call her my lover, my best friend, mother of all my children and and my foundation of security that allows me to run and dream as big as I dare in all areas of my life. This trip and blog journey would not be complete without a testament to the beauty, grace, and amazement that my wife is... I cannot express in words how proud of her I am on this day. From the birth of this calling in her heart, to the first steps in Jan 2006, to the last few days traveling she has amazed me with her patience, persistence and grace in perseverance. Tomorrow we meet face to face to one chosen to join our family, and I look forward to the years ahead watching Adiah, Ridge, Natie-bug and Em all continue to flourish under the love and guidance of their wonderful mother. Everything a father could hope for his children to learn can be learned in observing their mother. I believe I am most excited for them to see the boldness in which she now proceeds through her life - being a blessing, encouragement, and lightning rod to those she encounters, and being willing to be used mightily in every moment into which her presence is called. Miss Amy, I love you and I am sincerely honored to be on this journey with you.
Proverbs 31: 28-29 Her children (all four (5:)now) stand to bless her.
Her husband praises her. "There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all."
her husband,
Brian


Hey Amy, We are on the road and I haven't been able to check blogs but wanted to see Rhett with you. I know I don't know you personally but wanted you to know I am lifting you up in prayer today. I pray that HE will encourage and give you strength. May you find JOY in each day and my hope is He reveals to you each day something new! Rhett is beautiful!!! Praying for Brian too!!!
ReplyDeleteSweet Amy!!! I have never met you, and in fact have only known you for a few months online but I want you to know that you have been a great encouragement to me!! Everything you say and do lifts people up! You truly do reflect Christ in all you say and do! Thank you for being so kind and wonderful and I hope that I get to meet you in real life one day. Those 5 kids of yours are lucky to have you as their Mama! And I am blessed to have crossed paths with you!
ReplyDeleteKeep on going, we will be praying for you!!
And Brian, what a wonderful husband you are! Prayers for your leg and safe travels home!
Jaclyn
"This is my command-be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
ReplyDeleteAwe Honey! I'm so sorry things have worked out this way, but the Lord knew this was going to happen. And He will give you the supernatural strength to do this! I will pray your sister has no trouble meeting up with you! What a blessing that she's able to join you!
We'll be praying for Brian! I'm sure it was hard for him to leave you and Rhett! We continue to pray for healing for Brian in the name of Jesus!
I've been reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan and he gives the the Lord definition of worrying....
Worry = Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives."
We know this in NOT true! He does LOVE AND CARE for you and your family and He'll be with you and Rhett as you get though the rest of your trip.
Enjoy this special alone time with your little man!
I love you and will continue to pray for you! You are a STRONG woman! Brian and your children are blessed to have you as a wife and mother! You go girl!!!
Amy, I'm reading your blog because your encouragement was a great help to me while I was in China. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteYou're going to make it through this because your Father loves you and will not abandon you. Your husband, who clearly adores you, will be lifting you up in prayer. And that, I think, will have more of an impact than his physical presence alone could.
Of course we'll all be joining along in praying for you and your whole family. I can't wait to see the seven of you reunited!
Hey Amy,
ReplyDeleteWe are praying for you guys here in Virginia. Praying for you for strength and rest while you are on your own, praying for the emergency visa and praying for Brian as he travels home. Sorry it is all working out this way, but you will all be home and together before you know it with your sweet boy! Congratulations!
Amy and Brian,
ReplyDeleteSo sad that things aren't going the way that you hoped and planned. I will be lifting both of you up in prayer and little Rhett. Amy, your heart and your courage is such an inspiration and encouragement to me. I know Jesus will be walking with you through this. You can do it and know that we are standing with you. Rhett is home, he is in your arms.
Love,
Aimee
I lift up my eyes to the hills—
ReplyDeletewhere does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
the Maker of heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot slip—
he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.
The LORD watches over you—
the LORD is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.
The LORD will keep you from all harm—
he will watch over your life;
the LORD will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.
Psalm 121
God knew about this well ahead of time!! He never makes mistakes - praying for you Amy and that you let Him take charge and praying for your dear husband as well. This will all be a distant memory soon enough - know that God is still in control and NOTHING surprises him. You folks have the whole world praying for you.
ReplyDeleteFrom:
Donna Chellis (adoptive mom to two girls from China and who lives in a little town in Maine) Love you sister and brother in Christ!!!
Amy,
ReplyDeleteI followed your first adoption to Adiah and saw your sisters post which reminded me to check in with you!! First let me say that I am so happy that Rhett is doing so well!!! It blesses my heart so much that he is okay especially after our experience with Lu Ai, the first little girl we went to adopt who turned out to be far worse developmentally than we were informed! I am PRAISING the Lord for your answers to prayer. He looks so delightful and such a cutie!!!
I cannot imagine what you are going through right now with Brian flying home! He is such a sweetie writing about you and loves you SO much!!! I really do not understand the Lord's ways Amy, but I do trust that they are always BEST!! I will never understand why God allowed us to go through the awful experience we did when we made the choice to return home from China without our little girl. I do not understand why Brian would be in so much pain at such an important time..... But I do know that God sees the bigger picture and He must have a special work He wants to do in both you, Brian and Rhett that only God sees. Who knows what divine appointments He has for you both that can only be accomplished this way?
I shall be praying for Brian and God's healing touch. I shall be praying for you that the Lord HImself will meet with you when you are alone and comfort you, help you and give you understanding of Rhett's needs. I will be praying that your sister can travel to be with you and be blessed to help you in any way she can.
You are truly an amazing woman as Brian says and I have always loved reading your blog!!
Blessings from Naomi in England
'The Lord is good, a stronghold in the day of trouble and He knows those who trust in Him' Nahum 1:7
Amy...I followed your journey to Adiah last year and am so thrilled to see you back getting your son, Rhett!! Hang in there...you are stronger than you know and with God...you are unstoppable!! We are waiting for our TA and hoping to be where you are before Chinese New Year. I will pray that you have a supernatural peace and that your sweet husband is well and strong waiting for you when you get home. Have a great trip and enjoy the moment...even if it's not what you planned.
ReplyDeleteAmy, it is my priveledge to be praying for you and the rest of this adoption trip and for Rhett to integrate easily into your family when you get home. I know God has a purpose in all He allows and will use this frustrating earthly circumstance to His amazing glory. He is FOR you! I am so excited to be meeting Rhett. I am praying for bonding and rest for you and Rhett and for healing for Brian. You can do all things because God has called you, strengthened you and equipped you. Stand tall mighty woman of God. Remember, "faith is daring the sould to go beyond what the eyes can see." Keep your spiritual eyes open! You have great faith and God has given you promises to look forward to. It's going to rock! This is just a bump in the road. Love you! Debra
ReplyDeleteAmy!!! Hang in there! We were just in China in October to meet and bring home our daughter Izabella, it's stressful without all these complications, but it will all be behind you soon, and all the stress will melt away into praise and thanksgiving for the blessings you've been bestowed with--and that are about to be yours. I know God has a plan and He will deliver comfort to you and Brian as you navigate your way home to be together forever with Rhett--in a way that's unique and not what you expected--but will surely carry unexpected blessings as well.
ReplyDeleteYour heart is in the right place and you have such supportive family around you--go in peace and savor every moment if you can.
Prayin' for you and thinking of you.
Lisa Arndt
Izabella's mom
AWAA WC Family
Yes, Amy, be encouraged! Remember how faithful, good and BIG your God is. Think about what a great support system you have; think of all of the amazing things God has brought you through; think of all of the amazing things God has accomplished through you because of your willing spirit. This will be yet another testimony of His goodness and we will all rejoice with you in that.
ReplyDeletePraying for you all as you welcome this precious babe into your family in a much different manner than you expected. Thankfully our steadfast Lord and Savior knows every fiber of our beings and is with us every step.
ReplyDeleteAmy, you and Brian have been through some tough times together. During those times, it is likely that you doubted whether you would be able to emerge victorious. But you did! There is no doubt in my mind that you will emerge from this challenge as a shining example of God's child. We will be praying for the whole Woods clan.
ReplyDeletePraying and believing with the your family! Brian, God will heal your leg and remove your pain soon. Amy, you are a beautiful woman of God and we pray for your strength to continue by leaps and bounds. I know that God is present in every storm.....be quiet and listen for his Word. We love you all and know that Rhett has and will bless many peoples' lives. One step at a time.....Love you all.
ReplyDeleteStephanie & family
Praying, praying, praying!
ReplyDeleteSweet Amy, meditate on this, its helped me through some extremely tough times (including being stranded for 2 days in London by myself!)... "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know the testing of your faith develops perseverance and perseverance must finish its work, so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything" (James 1:2-4). Love you girl, praying hard for your beautiful family.
ReplyDeleteHi Amy~ I just wanted to let you know that Randall and I are praying for you and so encouraged by your faith. I was reading Beth Moore's blog this morning and I thought you might relate. This is just an excerpt from it~ I pray God's shadow continues to cover you!
ReplyDeleteI often think back on Exodus 33 when an overwrought Moses asked God to show him His glory. Moses didn't understand that he wouldn't have survived the kind of revelation he'd requested. Instead of giving His servant what he asked, the Lord said to him,
There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. (V.22)
The next part is so wild:
Then I will remove my hand and you will see my back; but my face must not be seen.
Metaphorically speaking, the same thing can happen to us. When a shadow overtakes our lives and the light dims nearly beyond recognition, we may not see a single evidence of His arrival in our crisis. Sometimes we're in such blackness, we may go weeks or months that we don't sense God right by our side or feel the presence of His abiding Spirit within us. Those are the seasons when we make the choice whether we'll go by what we see and feel, or walk by what we know to be true. These are the places we learn what it really means to walk by faith and not by sight. To sow the seed of Scripture in our tears. It's often not until the crisis begins to dissipate that we look back upon the outstretched horizon and see God's hand prints all over it. No, we do not see His face, because, as Scripture says, our mortal bodies are not equipped to bear the sight. But, in a beautiful sense, we do indeed see His "back.' As the season draws to a close, we see that He took every single step we did.
We are quick to assume that all darkness is demonic but sometimes maybe the shadow over us is the hand of God covering us while His glory passes by.
*I am praying for healling for Brian and blessing, favor and protection for the rest of your trip! Your family is already blessed beyond measure because of the love you have for Rhett!